In the coming years, the amount of income tax relief landlords can get on residential property finance costs will be restricted to the basic rate of income tax. Finance costs include mortgage interest, interest on loans to buy furnishings, and finance fees incurred when taking out or repaying mortgages or loans. There is no relief available for capital repayments of a mortgage or loan.
Landlords instead of deducting their full financial costs will receive a basic rate reduction from their income tax liability for their finance costs. The government will introduce this change gradually from April 2017, over four years. The restriction in the finance cost relief will be phased in as follows:
- in 2017/18, the deduction from property income will be restricted to 75% of finance costs. The remaining 25% being available as a basic rate tax reduction
- in 2018/19, 50% finance costs deduction and 50% given as a basic rate tax reduction
- in 2019/20, 25% finance costs deduction and 75% given as a basic rate tax reduction
- from 2020/21, all financing costs incurred by a landlord will be given as a basic rate tax reduction.
The above restriction will not apply to landlords of furnished holiday lettings.
If you live in Croydon, Kent and London we, at Adiva Accountants in Croydon, can help you understand the impact that loan interest restriction will have in your rental income.